Tuesday, November 1, 2011

It Wasn't Long...



    We have been a tad bit busy the last few weeks so this post is delayed. However the time line between the last use of the wall of shame and this time was only a matter of three days. I must confess that I found this round of the wall of shame to be quite fulfilling. Remember, I'm an ass from time to time. Some people might say more than from time to time, and they're allowed. The culprit this time was once again "princess" Evey. I had expected her to be the next victim to fall under my hand and the wall of shame, I just didn't think she would be such a quick repeat offender. 
IMG_3438
    Evey was given a very cute and age appropriate purse from Missy's friend, Wendy. Wendy, referred to as Auntie Wendy works with Missy and has been an invaluable friend to her and the girls for years. On a recent sleep over at Auntie Wendy's house, Evey was give this purse and it has rarely left her side since. For weeks Evey would smuggle Lego's, mainly Jessie, into the car via the purse. About three weeks ago the purse was baned from the car. Although Evey would adhere to the "one quiet toy" rule while ridding in the car by bringing only her purse, once the purse opened it turned into Marry Poppins carpet bag. Before you could say "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" Evey would have two Lego's figures, three flowered hair clips, a brush, clothes from her sister's Barbies, a key and a flashlight all emptied onto the floor of the car. The kicker would be when she would ask for her key or brush that she dropped and I would clue in that she stuffed that darn purse full of crap again. Each time it would be the same. I would swear under my breath, grit my teeth, I would remind Eve of the one quiet toy rule while in the car, I would swear again and then finish it with "understood Eve" in hopes that she would reply "understood daddy". After going through this process multiple times each day for several weeks I decided to take charge and create a new rule. It's called the "No purse in the car" rule. I must say I marveled in my ability to outsmart a two year old by enacting this new rule. 
    Well it didn't take long before the purse became a thorn in my side once again. The other night after naps the kids were in the backyard playing. There were kids racing around on their scooters, some jumping on the trampoline and others playing in the play house. Evey quietly came back inside to go get something else from her room. The other five kids were playing outside when all of a sudden the door swung wide open. Cody was now standing in the doorway with a very serious look on his face. He said Toby (our dog) was being naughty. Cody pointed in the direction of the dog and there he was, standing over a blue flowered hair clip lying in the dark green grass. The kind of clip found only inside Evey's purse. When I walked outside to get the hair clip I also found the purse tossed about the grass. As I bent over to pick up both items I smirked, knowing exactly what was about to take place. I walked inside the house and called for Eve as I took out some packing tape. Evey answered me with a, "hhuuu". I asked her to meet me in the kitchen where I showed her her purse and hair clip. I explained where I had found them and how Toby was planing on making a meal out of them. She said, "oh sorry daddy" and reached for the purse and clip. I smiled, in a creepy way I'm sure, and pulled the items close to my chest. I put the clip back inside the purse where it joined all of it's other friendly items and then I zipped it up. With a smile on my face I took a big piece of tape off the roll and taped the purse up on "The wall of shame". Evey stuck out her big lip and started to act like she was going to cry. I smiled and said no thank you while I explained to her how her inability to properly care for her purse was the reason I was putting it up on the wall. I told her she could have it back in three days, then I sent her back outside to play for two minutes before the kids had to clean up to come in for dinner.
IMG_3440
    After I closed the door behind Evey I turned around to look at Missy. I was giggling with a devilish smile on my face. Missy called me an ass and giggled as well. We talked about what I had done and how it went. I did apologize for having a sinister grin on my face and for enjoying the process of "laying down the law". Missy and I both express our concern for how quickly Eve forgot the last use of the wall of shame. We can only hope that the purse makes a bigger impact on her memory so that she can start working harder at caring for her things, even though it will take away from my fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment