Sunday, November 6, 2011

Just a Lazy Sunday

    Our weekends are normal - not filled with t-ball or soccer games unless we are going to go watch my niece or nephew play. Our kids enjoy sports but none of them have had an undying love to join the organized sporting world. It's a chilly, rainy morning so it's a perfect pajama day if you ask me. Normally on these kinds of days we will find the kids doing a multitude of things like puzzles, Lego's, board games, reading books, chasing the dogs, playing dress up, and on the more rare occasion watch TV.

    While Missy baked in the kitchen I took to the couch. Although my figure might say differently, I rarely watch TV. In a given week I might find myself watching TV a total of two to three hours a week. Today I decided to watch a riveting forty-five minutes of Auction Hunters. I found myself on the couch shrouded by Dylan, Gabby, the dogs and Evey when she needed a fix of tormenting the dogs by "petting" them. Cody and Trevor were playing in their room and Lucy was in hers. With six kids in the house we welcome the chance for individual and group play. 
IMG_3597
    As the final numbers were coming in on how much money was made by selling a gun, some robots and a lot of useless crap, Cody walked up to me with his finger in his mouth. He had left a Lego space ship on the couch next to me while Dylanlaid over the top of me and Toby snuggled behind me. I thought he was back toretrieve it and then back to the room of noise and destruction, also referred to as the boys room. As he grabbed his spaceship I noticed a wet spot on his pajama shirt. I focused a bit more on it and noticed it wasn't water. At this time he pulled his finger from his mouth and stood there staring at the tip of his finger. It had a slight red color to it. He licked it off and shoved it back in his mouth. I noticed it was in an odd location however. It's not often a child who tries to brush his teeth at mock ten to avoid the brush from touching his gums will shove a finger between his lips and gums. This behavior caught my eye and was warranted for a closer look. I asked Cody if he was alright which he responded with, "yes" as he looked at the tip of his finger again. He then held it out to show me and said, "I think it red." 
IMG_3596
    I grabbed him and pulled him closer to try to get a closer look. I asked him to open up so I could see in and he just smiled. The red teeth that peeked out from behind those soft cute lips was enough for me to ask Dylan to climb off of me for a second. I moved closer to Cody and told him to relax his jaw so I could see better. Apparently that means close your mouth and try to get away. Missy threw a paper towel my way and I shoved it inside to see how much blood I could soak up. As a doctor, all-be-it not a real doctor in some peoples mind, I don't waist time withgentle antics. So I grabbed his lip, pulled it away from his face and jammed that towel up in there. He didn't make a noise, he didn't even try to escape. When I pulled the towel out it was red with blood and had a good amount on it. I tried to ask Cody what happened and all he could do was smile and say I don't know. He was wiggling his lower body and acting like he was hiding something. I pressed him again and I got the same thing. I called for Trevor so that I could interrogatehim next. If Cody wasn't talking Trevor surely will. I asked Trev what happened and he told of a story where there were fights and battles between good and evil withing their bedroom and it was all played out with Lego's. He said he shot his Lego's at Cody and hit him, but that it wasn't in the face. I asked to see this new weapon of mass destruction and he quickly ran to get it. Upon inspection and a quick demonstration it was obvious even to a non trained eye that this was not the cause of the blood. In reality this weapon would be hard press to injure a spider if it had a direct hit on it. Each boy agreed that nothing other than the Lego weapon had been used. Cody tried to say that it was Trevor's Lego weapon that hit him and caused the blood yet Trevor responded with, "It hit him in his back." Unless we are currently in Dallas driving down Elm street in a convertible limousine I am incline to say the magic bullet is a farce, and even then I would still call bull shit. 
IMG_3589
    I decided to take Cody into the kitchen where the light is a bit better to inspect the full damage. I sat him on the counter, tilted his head back, opened him mouth and pulled up his lip. I must say I was surprised to see the beginnings of the grand canyon within the upper gum of Cody's mouth. It was not a cut that caught me bysurprise but I did get my attention. When I called Missy over to take a look, she quickly turned away with a disgusted look on her face and said, "A warning would have been nice." Staying true to the rules and actions of the house she grabbed the camera to get a close up. We enjoy documenting our ups and downs in our house so that they might be used as a teaching aid later on to ward off a repeat incident. 
IMG_3592
IMG_3595
    The thing that gets me is that I never once heard him cry or get upset. I never heard a thud to signal an injury. I never heard Trevor say, "I'm sorry, don't tell Daddy." It was as if Cody got punched in the face for a wrong doing and he took it like a man. He didn't even pull away as I shoved an ice pack between his lip and gum and held it there for several minutes, and then repeated that two more times. I must say I was very proud of him and scared by him all in the same. I think I will keep an eye out for him, he's borderline crazy!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment