Sunday, October 9, 2011

Back To School Jitters


Back to School Jitters

August 22, 2011
Every year I have anxiety about Back to School. I enjoy everything about summer… the sunshine, the heat, swimming, parks, exploring and being on our own schedule. Back to school means early mornings, the craziness of schedules and mostly, missing my children. I always get that knot in my stomach, the same one I had as a kid every Sunday night.
Thankfully, all the kids look forward to back to school. They all love it and it’s really great to watch them be excited about it!
This year was no different. Dylan and Trevor stated about two weeks before Gabby, Lucy and Cody. It was nice to ease into the craziness. 

Photo (2)
Photo (3) 






















On Monday I took Gabby and Lucy to school. We walked onto campus and everyone from students to teachers were happy to see the girls. It was a great feeling as the teachers high fived Gabby. You can tell people were genuinely happy to see her. We walked down to “Walk Club” where all the students walk together around the blacktop until the bell rings. I watched Gabby and Lucy hold hands and join some friends. When the bell rang they walked up the hill to their classrooms. Gabby walked Lucy to hers, and then continued onto her own.
There was a little confusion of where to hang pack backs (outside the classroom) and I stood back and watched her figure it out. She went to hang her backpack up and some young boy from her classroom was watching her. He jumped up out of his seat and showed her that her backpack actually went on the other side.
He looked so old to me. His buzz cut, glasses and grown up clothes made him look more like a young adult than a forth grader. Gabby walked into her classroom and found her seat. I glanced at her and all the other students. Gabby’s smile lit up the room. They all looked old. It’s so hard to believe she’ll be 10 years old in two short months.
I’ll admit, I walked away sobbing…. For so many reasons. Seeing her in that classroom – among 30 other kids, its was so obvious just how different she is. Sometimes I don’t even think about it. Gabby is Gabby. I love every last little thing about her.  And sometimes I worry so much about her…. Will she be ok, make friends, be teased? Will someone be mean to her? What if she needs something and can’t communicate it?
One of the many things she has taught me is to appreciate the differences in all my kids -  to love them for all their uniqueness. You would think with six children, there would be some similarities, but their really isn’t. All my kids are uniquely different and great in their own ways.
Photo (14)Photo (15)
That afternoon I had lunch with some special ladies and our conversation revolved around Down syndrome. I was so emotional as I thought over the past ten years, and how much Gabby has changed me. There are no words to describe what she has taught me about life. She is life, in the truest sense of the word.  
I love that Gabby is different. I love that she sees nothing but good in people, nothing but good in life. I think the world would be a better place if there were more people like her. I know I am a better person for knowing her.

No comments:

Post a Comment